[pct-l] Water Capacity

Matthew Edwards hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Jan 21 11:18:47 CST 2010

I second what Daylate said; better to have many smaller containers than one big one. My 3 liter platy did survive all the way to the Oregon Border(NoBo) where it sprung a leak at Joker and Boomers Fake border monument. At the time I did not know whether to be pissed at their joke or at my leaking waterbag.. So I just laughed it off. Had I been relying on that single container and been in a dry stretch it might not have been as funny. Anyhow, I began carrying a water filter from Tahoe onward. The 15 ounce MSR Pro worked great, though it does seem a bit silly when Aqua Mira weighs so much less. The water I found throughout the PCT was mostly clear or could be rendered so with a bandana so that chemical purification would be adequate. Although there were a few critical water sources that were basically muddy stock ponds and I was dam glad to have the filter.
Personally I never needed more than 6 liter capacity and after Socal I had only three liter capacity. Places like the Hat Creek rim were by that point frankly "Childs Play" for a trail hardened PCT Hiker.
Your Mileage May Vary!
My own consumption of water was about 1 liter per 5 miles in warm conditions to 1 liter per 10miles on cool days.
Cheers-Iceaxe
YMMV!

Sent on the go from my Peek