[pct-l] Tents for Haiti - International Trail Magic

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Fri Jan 22 22:55:09 CST 2010

As I listen to the various news sources and agencies, the idea of
sending any parcel to Haiti right now is silly.  There is not enough
inbound capacity even to get in essential workers and supplies. Money
sent to the various relief agencies enables them to buy needed supplies
in bulk at wholesale or less and likewise ship in bulk. One may feel
good by sending a tent; but just donating the cost of sending it to a
relief agency will do a lot more good.

Unfortunately politicians want to be seen touring and helping. Media
want to have their own person with camera crew there giving "on the
scene" updates with the tragedy in the background. And all this
grandstanding interferes with getting aid to the victims.  yes we need
reporters to show and tell us about the situation, but not hoards each
vying for ratings.  I'd like to see a shared medial pool coverage for
situations like this; but such a pool will never happen.

Tortoise

Because truth matters"