[pct-l] Good Maps/High Snow Year

jason moores jmmoores at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 23 14:01:56 CST 2010

Eric makes a good, though self serving, point regarding the importance of having good maps to navigate in a heavy snow year. Many discussions on the subject of maps can be found in the archives for the past two months. Much has been said about the pros and cons of the available guides and maps. I would like to address the topic of route finding while using these existing map sources.

In average conditions all of the main publications, WP, Atlas, Forest Service, will serve to keep you on track. The trail is easy to follow along most of its length. Quick reference to these maps is all that is needed to be sure that your on the right track. The problem occurs in trying to use these maps for actual route finding when there is no obvious trail tread to follow. All three of these sources are lacking the definition necessary to route find in my opinion.

Take the Atlas for example. The Atlas maps are a great improvement over the WP maps in many regards. Full color, full page and encompassing more of the immediate surroundings. But it is this larger scope that is the downfall of the Atlas maps. The maps themselves have contour lines spaced at 50 feet which would normally be perfect for route finding. The problem lies in that to encompass more of the immediate surroundings the maps are shrunk to fit the page. The contour lines are often difficult to read and this shrunken scope greatly decreases the definition that a map with 50 foot contour lines possesses.

To demonstrate this . Switchbacks.  When I'm cutting trail across snow in the attempt of rejoining the PCT, it's important for me to know that the trail switches back and forth above me four times before passing into the next side canyon. The vast majority of switchbacks are glossed over with a straight line in the Atlas. The contour lines have been shrunk so small that it is impossible to squeeze these switches into the picture. Most of the time this is only a small annoyance to gripe about on a hot day. Complaining about the guides is a pass-time on the trail. But when I need a good map to navigate with, this will not due.

In relation to the SoCal section of the trail, there are only a few sections where there is a need to worry about this;  Mt. Laguna, San Jacinto, San Bernadino and San Gabriel areas. If snow conditions in these areas call for the possibility of having to route find, I would suggest that you take a look at the Tom Harrison or Half-Mile map series. Both of these map series are of top quality and are better suited to true Navigation. The scope of these maps is vastly superior in definition for traveling on snow or off trail. You can use these maps to augment whatever combination of guide and data sources that you plan on using.

Jason Moores
"Jackass"