[pct-l] Death on the PCT / John Joseph Donovan

Don Billings dbillings803 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 23 18:06:30 CST 2010

I looked at some photos of the area online & it appears to be really rough going and especially without a compass or gps.

Using HalfMiles way points, I can see finding the way even in a storm because of the short intervals between them. But, how can you even rely on a compass when the trail twists and turns as I've read about the PCT at the point? You'd still end up bushwhacking and in danger of falls.

As someone else pointed out, the very fact that the tourists from Texas found themselves in the same area, lost and within 12 months of the dead hiker, tells me that area might be tricky despite what I've read otherwise.

The man apparently wrote some notes prior to his death that were not released to the public. I'm curious what he wrote. I know his final entry was "Good bye." A similar last living statement was made by the young man who starved to death in Alaska a number of years back after being trapped by winter snowmelt & a flooding river.

Personally, I try to learn from the mistakes of others. Thats why I posted the article and the story. Its a good warning about certain hiking situations and gear.