[pct-l] best synthetic sleeping bag

Steve McAllister brooklynkayak at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 05:33:45 CST 2010

Hi Alexandra,

No advice on a synthetic bag, but something you might want to consider
is how I deal with a down bag:
I hike with a down bag, but no down clothing. All my clothing is
synthetic with some wool and silk base layers.
I do kayak camping.

My bag has a pertex shell that repels water.  I've camped in gales
under a tarp and had spray reach may bag, but the pertex repelled the
water.
If my bag for some reason should get totally soaked, it could be
uncomfortable wearing all of my clothing to bed, but I would survive.

I don't hike with any down clothing because the time I need the extra
insulation the most is in freezing rain, when it is impossible to stay
dry and I don't want to be wear down in those kind of conditions.

Another thing to consider, a down bag with an ultralight bivy(sleeping
bag cover) is lighter than an equivalent synthetic bag.

I bring an SMD Meteor ultralight bivy as double protection on extended
trips where the weather could be snotty. The bivy acts as a ground
cloth and sleeping bag cover for added protection when things really
go wrong.

--
If you look good and dress well, you don't need a purpose in life.
               -- Robert Pante, fashion consultant