[pct-l] Death on the PCT / John Joseph Donovan

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 14:34:46 CST 2010

Hi,

Even if you carry a gps, you should always carry a compass too... if for
nothing more than setting a bearing when your gps fails you during a
bailout.  Even Scott Williamson carries a compass, and he doesn't carry *
anything*.  :)

Any GPS will work with Half Mile's waypoints.  The only thing you have to
worry about is the amount of memory the GPS has.  If it doesn't have enough
memory to load all the points, then you'll need to load half the points
first... then when you get half way through your hike, load the other half.
card (which you could send in a resupply package), or (if your gps doesn't
support memory cards) you'll have to find a computer, plug in your gps, and
load the rest of the waypoints that way.

Different models of GPS devices may require the waypoints be in different *
formats*.  But that's not a problem.  My wife and I have converted Half
Mile's waypoints into pretty much every gps-file format that exists.  That
way we can all load the waypoints in to any GPS device we come accross.  The
waypoint files are here: http://planyourhike.com/maps/gps.html, so you can
help yourself.

As far as I know, the lightest GPS that accepts data cards is the eTrex
Vista HCx ($300) at 5.5 oz (with batteries).

If you plan to bring maps with longitude\lattitude information, you could
get by with the Easy Showily track logger. You cannot load waypoints into
it, but it will display your longitude\lattitude on a screen and it only
weighs 1.6 oz (with AAA lithium batteries).

But bring a compass!

--
Austin Williams
PlanYourHike.com

"The mountains are calling and I must go."   -John Muir