[pct-l] Simple Soda Can Stove

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 25 19:19:28 CST 2010

I just finished testing one of the easiest to build alcohol soda can stoves.  The results and build instructions are on the HikeThru.com web site in the Backyard Science section.  Below is the direct link.

http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/backyard-science/homemade-stoves

In summary the stove takes about 5 minutes to build.  The only special equipment making the build really easy to build is a military style can opener (0.3 ounce) which isn't a bad thing to be carrying.  The stove weighs in at 0.21 ounces and can boil water in a little over 6 minutes, 100 grams of fuel can boil an estimated 4.9 liters which is comparable to other alcohol stoves tested.  The major advantage I see with this alcohol stove is that it can be easily constructed in the field unlike the other stoves I have tested.

Thanks go to John K. who submitted the stove plans making the test possible.

Paul