[pct-l] Use of GPS--Halfmile maps

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Tue Jan 26 00:18:44 CST 2010

I just want to put a plug in for Halfmile's maps. I used them in conjunction with a GPS--an ancient Garmin 3 Plus last summer on my 550 mile section hike of the PCT. I made a template for locating UTM coordinates out of a piece of a ziploc bag and a Sharpie fine permanent marker. It weighed less than 1 oz. I kept it in my camera pouch, so it was accessible without too much digging. When I was uncertain of my location, I whipped out the GPS and took a reading in UTM coordinates, then superimposed my handy dandy template on the map and--voila--I knew exactly where I was. This helped me many times in planning my daily mileage, finding side trails with non existent signs, etc. I intend to take the Halfmile maps next season. These combined with a good old Forest Service planimetric map to be able to see road access in case of needing to bail out from the trail, and the description of the standard guidebook are what I will carry.

I am considering buying a new GPS--right now CAmpmor has the old standby workhorse Garmin GPScsx on sale. Also the Garmin Oregon is good and lightweight and water resistant. It's hard for me to give up my old Garmin 3 Plus--it lasts forever on 4 AA batteries--but the newer GPS units are lighter, have better screens, store more maps. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to use a GPS. That in combination with a good map is invaluable. Especially in areas where you won't be able to see the trail tread due to snow.

I do carry a compass as a backup, but my GPS has never run out of battery power--I only turn it on to check my position.

--Fireweed