[pct-l] Use of GPS--Halfmile Maps

Mary Kwart mkwart at gci.net
Tue Jan 26 11:06:58 CST 2010

Dan:

The template I drew on the piece of Zipoloc baggie to use with Halfmile's maps was a square the size of one section of the UTM grid. I marked ten tic marks equal distanced from each other along the edge of the square. That way I could use it from all sides. You could get away with doing the tic marks on only two adjoining sides, however.

It was easy to use because of the clear plastic--being able to see thru it to the map underneath. I cut the ziploc about 1 inch out from the template square for a border. I actually just found an old hard plastic template for reading UTM that I had from my fire gear (I used to make maps with GPS for wildfires) but it would be much more cumbersome to carry. They are available from mapping/surveying/GPS stores.

--Mary Kwart (Fireweed)

>From  Dan Kronstadt <subs at kronhead.com>
Sent  Tuesday, January 26, 2010 7:00 am
To  Mary Kwart <mkwart at gci.net>
Subject  Re: [pct-l] Use of GPS--Halfmile maps

Can you describe the template? Was it just a right angle to find the
intersection of the east and north coordinates, or something fancier? <g>

Thanks
Dan