[pct-l] new Gramin nuvi GPS

Dan Kronstadt subs at kronhead.com
Tue Jan 26 11:52:56 CST 2010

It depends on what you mean "able to use." Generally, the answer is you
can use it with any maps - depending on your expectations. The GPS can
give you your current latitude and longitude, or UTM coordinates - and
you can then find yourself on just about any map. Altho - I should say -
I have a low end Nuvi for my car, and I am not sure it actually has an
option to show coordinates. But most GPS's will do this. I have a Garmin
60csx I use for hikes - but mostly to keep track of where I have gone -
how far, how fast, how high.

You can also LOAD topographic maps into a GPS - but Garmin tries to lock
you into buying their maps. I think there are some ways around this, but
I have not tried it.

You can load data into a GPS - waypoints, tracks, and routes - and use
them to follow a trail. Waypoints are individual points, tracks are
actual paths usually gathered as someone moves around, and then saved to
a PC, and routes are similar to tracks, but built manually by tracing on
a map on a computer, or connecting waypoints.

But, as others have warned, you have to know that GPS signals get
blocked, batteries die, etc.

Dan