[pct-l] GPS - Garmen Vista

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Tue Jan 26 13:05:10 CST 2010

Which Vista?

www.garmin.com does have info about the capabilities of the device

Being Mac probably doesn't matter, depending on the device.  I looked
at a couple of the Vistas on the Garmin site and it looks like it uses
SD cards.  That should make it easy to add maps by copying them to the
card and installing the card.

OK, I looked again and the very BASE Vista does not have a card slot
and only has 24meg of internal memory.  This device would not work if
you were looking to add topo maps and waypoints and tracks.  You could
add up to 1000 waypoints (maybe water and resupply) and try and make
that work, but really, it's not the right tool.

Yes, you would have to buy the Garmin Mapsource maps.  With a 64Meg SD
card (probably all it supports, you probably want the "100K" maps.
While I like the "24K" maps (higher resolution) you might have to
reload memory too often to make it convenient. (Still not sure how
name maps you could fit in 64meg at 100K.)

Do not buy them on SD card.  The SD card is probably not available to
have waypoints stored on it if it has the pre-recorded maps from
Garmin.  Think "read only memory".  The tracks and waypoints from Half-
mile (or where-ever) will need some space.

BillB