[pct-l] Hypothermia

Jim and_or Ginny Owen spiriteagle99 at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 26 19:24:10 CST 2010

On the AT we met a group who had spent the night in wet tents and wet sleeping bags.  They came to the shelter in the a.m., badly hypothermic.  We had to lead them through each action as if they were small children.  Do you have a hat?  Yes.  Where is your hat?  In the pack.  Find your hat.  Put your hat on.  Do you have a coat?  Yes.  Put your coat on.  They had to be led every step of the way.  It taught me a lot.

Sometimes you actually do realize that you are in trouble, but the connection between thought and action just isn't made.  I've been hypothermic a couple of times - all day rains seem to be my downfall.  One time I remember sitting in camp, shivering, knowing that I needed to change into dry clothes, but utterly unable to get up, open the pack, dig into it, and get the clothes out.  My thoughts told me what to do, but I couldn't actually fidn the will to do it.  Fortunately, my husband noticed I hadn't moved and was able to help get me moving.  A couple of times I found myself at an earlier stage of hypothermia where I was still able to act, but my hands wouldn't coordinate enough to either get my pack off (those buckles can be hard when your hands are frozen) or to get the poles in my tent loops.  Again, I'm lucky I don't hike alone any more.

Ginny