[pct-l] Deep Survival

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jan 27 14:15:52 CST 2010

Altitude will do similar things to you as hypothermia. I hiked in
Nepal and considered it the trip of a lifetime but up at 18,000 ft,
my brain was telling me to conserve pictures (film at the time) and
not take too many. What was I thinking? I should have burned the
image of Everest into all the rest of my film and bought some more
film later. When we descended it was like walking into a color movie
again. That's how much the hypoxia affected me.

On the PCT, I experienced the same sensation after eating a big meal
in town. Like waking up in a color movie. I guess that's how
nutrition deprivation affected me, too.

I was like Day-Late in that as a solo hiker I was extra paranoid and
took less risks than I would have if someone else were there. I not
only wanted to protect my life and limbs, but I didn't want my hike
to end. So I crossed creeks and descended steep places carefully, and
tried my darndest to stay out of the rain and snow even if that meant
splitting my hike into two years or hiking 30 mile days or hiding out
in Seattle for a few days.

And yes, saying that hiking with a love relationship can cause
problems, yes that is not universal. It happens to me frequently,
however. I was glad I didn't have to deal with that on my big hikes
and that when I got lost I could just handle things my own way.

Anyway, the possibility of ending up with a nut-case to hike with is
not zero. I decided that after 3 days or so, it was best to say good-
bye to whoever I was with and hike by myself again. I guess I'm a bit
of a misanthrope, but even misanthropes are allowed to hike the PCT.