[pct-l] SPOT usage & SR difficulty

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:40:14 CST 2010

Here is a short summary for others not familiar with the Spot Messenger.  For more detail review the link below or review the product at findmespot.com.  The Ok/Help messages are sent from the Spot Messenger to a Satellite, then relayed to your Spot account and up to five pre-set emails.  Your spot account can also be set up to allow an unlimited amount of users to view your messages and locations online with or without a password.   These email messages contain The Ok and Help messages (up to 115 characters) to help clarify what OK or Help means.  These pre-set OK and Help messages can not be changed in the field unless you have access to the internet.

Here is an example of an Ok message sent to one of the emails listed in my account.  Note the recipient of the email simply clicks on the link and can see the location.  Remember you can adjust your OK or Help message to anything you want.  Below are just examples, you have 115 characters so you can be creative.

Paul
Latitude:36.69464
Longitude:-118.37356
GPS location Date/Time:01/19/2010 09:21:22 EST

Click the link below to see where I am located.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=36.69464,-118.37356&ll=36.69464,-118.37356&ie=UTF8&z=12&om=1
Message:I'm OK, I will try to send another OK message or Track within 48 hours.  Follow Track Log for movement.  Paul

This is the message I use for my help message "I'm OK,but plans changed.I need nonemergency help within 48h. Copy Coordinates,follow Tracks and expect Call. Paul"

Below is the link for a review of the older Spot Messenger by the Forest Service

http://www.fs.fed.us/t-d/pubs/pdfpubs/pdf08252842/pdf08252842dpi72.pdf

I hope this helps,

Paul

P.S. I just finished a study looking at the decomposition of toilet paper under different conditions.  If interested click on the direct link below.

http://hikethru.com/hiking-information/backyard-science/toilet-paper-decomposition