[pct-l] TP decomposition, ninja-poop technique

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 10:35:17 CST 2010

I understand why some people recommend skipping TP, but that's one thing I'm
not willing to go without. I've used leaves in order to stretch my TP
supply, but they don't seem as effective as the absorbent, textured surface
of TP.

I use a method I call the ninja-poop, similar to the 3 Ps, but with a key
extra step- I burn the TP in the hole, before mixing, so that it will break
down faster. I figure by turning the TP into carbon and ash, not only will
the TP break down faster, but so will the waste I'm mixing it with. I
realize this method is technically against the rules in some areas, and will
probably be controversial, but I think that with caution, it's the best LNT
method short of packing out your TP or skipping it entirely. In fact I
believe that the hole and the poo itself have a much greater impact than the
TP itself.

I start by cutting out a 'slice of earth', before digging my hole, so that I
can put that piece of topsoil back intact afterwards(obviously may not be
possible with some soil types). Then I dig my hole and do my business, then
wipe. The TP goes into the top of the hole which I light with a lighter, and
keep a stirring stick handy to maximize burning, and make sure no burning TP
get blown away. If I have to dig a hole during the rain, I may skip this
step. After the TP burns as much as possible(usually about 95% of it turns
to black carbon and ash, and a tiny bit doesn't burn because of moisture), I
extinguish the embers with some urine. Then I mix everything up('puree'),
along with some of the dirt I removed from the hole, and some additional
organic matter such as leaves, to prevent future potholes as the poo
decomposes. Then I add the remaining dirt, return the slice of earth I
originally cut out, and scatter debris over the area. Unless I'm in an
extremely remote area, I mark the hole with a single stick(usually the one I
use for mixing), so that no other humans dig in the same spot. Except for
that stick, the area is completely camouflaged and you could be standing in
that spot and have no idea it was there.

As an aside, I use seventh generation 2-ply toilet paper. I like that its
made from 100% post-consumer waste, but I also really like the texture of
the paper. Paul, if you do another test, I'd be curious to see how this
method compares.

--
Indifference is the one trait that makes the very angels weep. Indifference
is the essence of inhumanity. Indifference to evil is more insidious than

--~--  www.HelpMeWeatherize.com  --~--