[pct-l] burning TP and fire risk

Dan Africk danstheman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 13:27:56 CST 2010

As part of the process digging a cathole, I clear the immediate area around
the hole of any burnable debris(which I put back later). I burn the TP
inside of the hole, while standing over it and watching carefully, and
afterwards thoroughly mix everything so that all burning embers are 100%
extinguished. To me this seems far safer than any type of campfire or any
stove involving a flame.

It's possible that there are some conditions which are so windy or where
there is so much flammable material that this could be risky. I've never
encountered such situations yet(I haven't been to the west coast), but if I
do, I simply won't burn the TP then. I believe all hikers need to be
responsible when dealing with their environment, especially when it comes to
fire. But just because some people have been careless or irresponsible in
the past, doesn't mean that no one should ever use fire or that everyone
else is incapable of using it responsibly.

On another note, whether I agree with you or not, I think it's awesome how
much people on this list are concerned with their environmental impact.

--
Indifference is the one trait that makes the very angels weep. Indifference
is the essence of inhumanity. Indifference to evil is more insidious than