[pct-l] documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern County

Kate Drum 4drums at surf1.ws
Fri Jan 29 19:33:55 CST 2010

I think the only answer to the ORV problem will have to come from
fines and or possible jail time, they are everywhere and I have yet to
see a gate or barricade that will keep them out for long. The state of
Idaho stacked concrete blocks by helicopter in two different spots
along a favorite illegal ORV trail and when I first saw it I figured
there was no way they could get over that, but a year later sure
enough some industrious fellow was able to build a steep ramp with
rocks and logs [must of taken all day] so he could clear the barricade
and trash the trail. It is in their nature to figure out how to get
around obstacles, so its just another challenge. We also have another
interesting type of motorhead up here in the Pacific Northwest, the
winter verity, they like snowmobiles, they are almost the same- like
loud noises, going fast,running over things, pushing stressed out
wildlife to exhaustion. There is no way to completely stop them, they
can go almost anywhere, but you can use the laws that exist against
them. The state of Idaho is being sued for allowing snowmorons into
caribou habitat areas, we have an environmental group up here that
does fly-overs to document snowmobile activity in areas closed to
them. The mountain caribou is the most endangered mammal in the lower
states, so having them pushed by snowmobiles is probably not a good
thing, along with a theory that snowmobiles pack the snow down enough
to allow predators [wolves, cougars] to have a better chance for
caribou steak. Caribou have very large hooves[ dinner plate size] so
they move over unpacked snow much faster than those who want to eat
them, but not fast enough to avoid the motorheads.

Dave Drum