[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 138

canoeman at qnet.com canoeman at qnet.com
Sat Jan 30 02:36:23 CST 2010


ha ha ha, I loves this reply, nice one. 

P178 said 

I think the answer to these issues is obvious ... wipe your dirty bottom
with an OHVer, but be sure to only use the stereotypical ones, the
respectful ones aren't biodegradable.  

- P178




Quoting pct-l-request at backcountry.net:

> Send Pct-l mailing list submissions to
> 	pct-l at backcountry.net
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	pct-l-request at backcountry.net
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	pct-l-owner at backcountry.net
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Pct-l digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Re: Pct-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 136 (Bill Burge)
>    2. Re: Exped Wallcreeper (Paul Mitchell)
>    3. wowzers TP and OHVer (ryan clark)
>    4. Re: wowzers TP and OHVer - the clear answer (Paul Mitchell)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:34:53 -0800
> From: Bill Burge <bill at burge.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 136
> To: PCT list <pct-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID: <1E03113A-8FBC-40E3-AF13-5B9E05DA5702 at burge.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
> 
> 
> Wow canoeman!
> 
> Less beer or more spell checker!  ;-)
> 
> I use OHV areas and am considered an OHV when I'm off the pavement.
> 
> Does THIS look like an SUV to YOU!?!?
> 
> http://www.4footed.com/images/current.jpg
> 
> Not a completely recent pic, but what the hay...
> 
> I'm almost more insulted being called an "SUV" than being lumped in  
> with the "those OHV people"!  :-D
> 
> har har har...
> 
> BillB
> 
> 
> 
> On Jan 29, 2010, at 7:13 PM, canoeman at qnet.com wrote:
> 
> > Ya I dont think your getting the gist of my post.
> > A jeep is a licecneced highway vehicle that is used of road, it is  
> > not a ohv
> > Dirt bikes quads, mules these are ohv's
> > ohv means not registered to go on highways.
> > this should clear this point up.
> > DIRT BIKES = OHV
> > JEEPS ARE SUV'S OR FOUR WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES, not ohv,s
> >
> > canoeman
> >
> > Quoting pct-l-request at backcountry.net:
> >
> >> Send Pct-l mailing list submissions to
> >> 	pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>
> >> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> >> 	http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> >> 	pct-l-request at backcountry.net
> >>
> >> You can reach the person managing the list at
> >> 	pct-l-owner at backcountry.net
> >>
> >> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> >> than "Re: Contents of Pct-l digest..."
> >>
> >>
> >> Today's Topics:
> >>
> >>   1.  Bounce bucket (Sean 'Miner' Nordeen)
> >>   2. Re: you are in the minority of ohv (Bill Burge)
> >>   3. Re: documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern County (Bill  
> >> Burge)
> >>   4. A way to defend against bears (Brick Robbins)
> >>   5. Re: documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern County (dsaufley)
> >>   6. Re: The Ultimate Hiker Hosting Setup (Bill Burge)
> >>   7. Cheap synthetic sleeping bag (Austin Williams)
> >>   8. Re: Cheap synthetic sleeping bag (Steve McAllister)
> >>
> >>
> >> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 1
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:10:20 -0800
> >> From: "Sean 'Miner' Nordeen" <sean at lifesadventures.net>
> >> Subject: [pct-l]  Bounce bucket
> >> To: <pct-l at backcountry.net>
> >> Message-ID: <02CBF99AD78E4BABB0F4976C3536E725 at SeanDeskTop>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> >>
> >>> In the future I will use USPS Flat-Rate Priority boxes containing  
> >>> only the
> >>> things I can't find on the trail (hiking socks, maps and guides,
> >> electronics
> >>> chargers, etc.)... and only bounce it to every 4th town or so.
> >>
> >> Flat Rate boxes may cost more to mail then sending it regular  
> >> priority
> >> mail if you are only bouncing it a short distance (say a week or two
> >> ahead). I used the largest Priority Mail Box (non-flat rate) and it  
> >> was
> >> cheaper to mail forward then the the smaller Large Sizse Flat Rate  
> >> Box.
> >>
> >> -Miner
> >>
> >>
> >
>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> >> Check my 2009 PCT Journal out at www.postholer.com/Miner
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 2
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:18:47 -0800
> >> From: Bill Burge <bill at burge.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [pct-l] you are in the minority of ohv
> >> To: Austin Williams <austinwilliams123 at gmail.com>
> >> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
> >> Message-ID: <8D98C052-CE10-470E-9EAB-AFE9BB07EAA6 at burge.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
> >>
> >>
> >> Sorry to hear that, and I'm not surprised ('cause, apparently, I'm in
> >> the minority).
> >>
> >> BUT, when we're out with the Jeep, we go slow around kids and dogs
> >> (you never know when one you DON'T see is gonna pop out from
> >> somewhere!), slow around horses (while many are very well behaved  
> >> that
> >> DO have a mind of there own and will sometimes do the unexpected when
> >> surprised), watch out for bikers, and always keep an eye out for  
> >> hikers.
> >>
> >> I know that part of it is that I have gone on trail:  (but not all at
> >> the same time!) with kids, on horseback, on foot, on mountain bike,  
> >> on
> >> motorcycle, on ATV, and on snowshoe.
> >>
> >> Since I was raised in the desert, I know that if it's hot - stop and
> >> make sure the "hiker" you see isn't somebody who broke down a ways
> >> back.  Make sure everyone has enough water (I carry about 8 gallons  
> >> in
> >> my Jeep on a trail run, it's good for so many things).  No matter  
> >> what
> >> the mode of transportation someone is using, if they looks distressed
> >> or even unhappy - stop and say "everything all right here?"
> >>
> >> I pulled people who were stuck (and given a little advice  
> >> afterwords -
> >> nothing in life is "free" ;-)  I've lent tools.  I've given rides to
> >> town. And I've given out a bunch of water.
> >>
> >> BillB
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jan 29, 2010, at 2:51 PM, Austin Williams wrote:
> >>
> >>> Other than destroying the land we all love to hike in, I can also
> >>> say that
> >>> I've never met an OHVer that was anything close to kind or friendly
> >>> to me as
> >>> a hiker - at least not out on the trail.  As if I'm the "gov'mt
> >>> liber'l comy
> >>> tryin'a take-way ther rites".
> >>>
> >>> Every other human - even the serious hunter-types - will wave back
> >>> when I
> >>> wave to them.  These OHVers are the kind of people I go to the
> >>> backcountry
> >>> to get away from.
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Pct-l mailing list
> >>> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>>
> >>> List Archives:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 3
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:24:57 -0800
> >> From: Bill Burge <bill at burge.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [pct-l] documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern County
> >> To: PCT list <pct-l at backcountry.net>
> >> Message-ID: <48216CC2-3E53-435E-A2E1-08E2A14D5AC9 at burge.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
> >>
> >>
> >> Originally, I didn't feel grouped.  I was just trying to make that
> >> point.  OK, that kinda went into the weeds!  ;-)
> >>
> >> We are really looking forward to another year of ferrying hikers.  It
> >> was crazy loads of fun.
> >>
> >> Funny, none of those wanting a ride to REI seemed to care they were
> >> doing it an Earth Wrecking Tattoo Causing (btw - I have no tattoos)
> >> Alcohol Inspiring Smog Belching Jeep.  :-D   (Besides, the Subaru was
> >> better at it and a smoother ride!  ;-)
> >>
> >> BillB
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jan 29, 2010, at 12:55 PM, dsaufley wrote:
> >>
> >>> For clarity, my intent is those OHVers who violate the rules and
> >>> postings
> >>> and destroy the land (and the posted signage, too). Those are the
> >>> OHV people
> >>> I can't understand. The good folks like you who ride responsibly and
> >>> don't
> >>> have "let's tear it up!" as their mantra and objective aren't really
> >>> an
> >>> issue. My apologies if you felt grouped in with those who behavior  
> >>> and
> >>> attitude I find personally abhorrent. It was not my intent to paint
> >>> you with
> >>> the same brush.  I will say however, on a different level I never  
> >>> have
> >>> understood the need or experience much fun in using a motor to  
> >>> derive
> >>> pleasure from the out-of-doors. My word to describe those folks is
> >>> "motorheads." My brother is a motorhead, and to some extent, so is
> >>> my son.
> >>> I'm not hard-wired as a motorhead. Motors have always been noisy,
> >>> smelly,
> >>> nuisances to me that disturb my serenity and enjoyment of the  
> >>> subtler
> >>> sensory pleasures in nature.
> >>>
> >>> But that's why they have chocolate and vanilla.  You're still the
> >>> best darn
> >>> hiker wrangler in the SCV no matter what :o)
> >>>
> >>> L-Rod
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
> [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
> >>> ]
> >>> On Behalf Of Bill Burge
> >>> Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:05 PM
> >>> To: PCT list
> >>> Subject: Re: [pct-l] documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern  
> >>> County
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> OK, when we say "these OHV people", what really mean is the type of
> >>> OHV person that would do this sort of thing and NOT OHV people in
> >>> general - right?
> >>>
> >>> I mean, "hikers cut trails and ruin land", no SOME hikers don't  
> >>> stick
> >>> to the trail and DO damage land.  Some hikers litter.
> >>>
> >>> Not all of either group.
> >>>
> >>> Yes, I have an OHV use vehicle.  No, I don't drive on hiking trails.
> >>> Yes, I invest personal time doing road and trail work.  When I take
> >>> the Jeep out, we pick up trash when we see it, no matter who left it
> >>> there.
> >>>
> >>> BillB
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On Jan 28, 2010, at 9:59 PM, Brick Robbins wrote:
> >>>
> >>>>> There is something fundamentally different about these OHV people.
> >>>>> Somehow
> >>>>> they don't see the destruction, or don't care. I just don't get  
> >>>>> it.
> >>>>
> >>>> They like it.
> >>>>
> >>>> "F*ck the tree huggers. The wild lands are mine to destroy as I
> >>>> please. Climate change is a liberal myth. Drill, Baby Drill!"
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> Pct-l mailing list
> >>>> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>>> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >>>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>>>
> >>>> List Archives:
> >>>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Pct-l mailing list
> >>> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>>
> >>> List Archives:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 4
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:34:58 -0800
> >> From: Brick Robbins <brick at brickrobbins.com>
> >> Subject: [pct-l] A way to defend against bears
> >> To: PCT <pct-l at backcountry.net>
> >> Message-ID:
> >> 	<ca2c2381001291634q281c3b20t19646e8c9cbafbb3 at mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >>
> >> A little lighter in tone than the ohv video
> >>
> >>
> http://icanhascheezburger.com/2010/01/27/funny-pictures-video-bear-vs-kitteh/
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 5
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:42:27 -0800
> >> From: "dsaufley" <dsaufley at sprynet.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [pct-l] documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern County
> >> To: "'Bill Burge'" <bill at burge.com>,	"'PCT list'"
> >> 	<pct-l at backcountry.net>
> >> Message-ID: <001b01caa145$1970d200$4c527600$@com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> >>
> >> You have your feet firmly planted in two worlds!  BTW, they also  
> >> used to
> >> drive the Earth Wrecking Tattoo Causing Alcohol Inspiring Smog  
> >> Belching
> >> Suburban and Ford F350 king-cab pickup we used to lend them!  Looking
> >> forward to another great season. Hey, Helen's mom goes to my  
> >> dentist and
> >> dear friend, Clare Macaulay.
> >>
> >> L-Rod
> >>
> >> -----Original Message-----
> >> From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
> 
> >> ]
> >> On Behalf Of Bill Burge
> >> Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 4:25 PM
> >> To: PCT list
> >> Subject: Re: [pct-l] documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern County
> >>
> >>
> >> Originally, I didn't feel grouped.  I was just trying to make that
> >> point.  OK, that kinda went into the weeds!  ;-)
> >>
> >> We are really looking forward to another year of ferrying hikers.  It
> >> was crazy loads of fun.
> >>
> >> Funny, none of those wanting a ride to REI seemed to care they were
> >> doing it an Earth Wrecking Tattoo Causing (btw - I have no tattoos)
> >> Alcohol Inspiring Smog Belching Jeep.  :-D   (Besides, the Subaru was
> >> better at it and a smoother ride!  ;-)
> >>
> >> BillB
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jan 29, 2010, at 12:55 PM, dsaufley wrote:
> >>
> >>> For clarity, my intent is those OHVers who violate the rules and
> >>> postings
> >>> and destroy the land (and the posted signage, too). Those are the
> >>> OHV people
> >>> I can't understand. The good folks like you who ride responsibly and
> >>> don't
> >>> have "let's tear it up!" as their mantra and objective aren't really
> >>> an
> >>> issue. My apologies if you felt grouped in with those who behavior  
> >>> and
> >>> attitude I find personally abhorrent. It was not my intent to paint
> >>> you with
> >>> the same brush.  I will say however, on a different level I never  
> >>> have
> >>> understood the need or experience much fun in using a motor to  
> >>> derive
> >>> pleasure from the out-of-doors. My word to describe those folks is
> >>> "motorheads." My brother is a motorhead, and to some extent, so is
> >>> my son.
> >>> I'm not hard-wired as a motorhead. Motors have always been noisy,
> >>> smelly,
> >>> nuisances to me that disturb my serenity and enjoyment of the  
> >>> subtler
> >>> sensory pleasures in nature.
> >>>
> >>> But that's why they have chocolate and vanilla.  You're still the
> >>> best darn
> >>> hiker wrangler in the SCV no matter what :o)
> >>>
> >>> L-Rod
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -----Original Message-----
> >>> From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
> [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net
> >>> ]
> >>> On Behalf Of Bill Burge
> >>> Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 11:05 PM
> >>> To: PCT list
> >>> Subject: Re: [pct-l] documentation of OHV abuse of PCT in Kern  
> >>> County
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> OK, when we say "these OHV people", what really mean is the type of
> >>> OHV person that would do this sort of thing and NOT OHV people in
> >>> general - right?
> >>>
> >>> I mean, "hikers cut trails and ruin land", no SOME hikers don't  
> >>> stick
> >>> to the trail and DO damage land.  Some hikers litter.
> >>>
> >>> Not all of either group.
> >>>
> >>> Yes, I have an OHV use vehicle.  No, I don't drive on hiking trails.
> >>> Yes, I invest personal time doing road and trail work.  When I take
> >>> the Jeep out, we pick up trash when we see it, no matter who left it
> >>> there.
> >>>
> >>> BillB
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> On Jan 28, 2010, at 9:59 PM, Brick Robbins wrote:
> >>>
> >>>>> There is something fundamentally different about these OHV people.
> >>>>> Somehow
> >>>>> they don't see the destruction, or don't care. I just don't get  
> >>>>> it.
> >>>>
> >>>> They like it.
> >>>>
> >>>> "F*ck the tree huggers. The wild lands are mine to destroy as I
> >>>> please. Climate change is a liberal myth. Drill, Baby Drill!"
> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >>>> Pct-l mailing list
> >>>> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>>> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >>>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>>>
> >>>> List Archives:
> >>>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Pct-l mailing list
> >>> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>>
> >>> List Archives:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>>
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Pct-l mailing list
> >> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>
> >> List Archives:
> >> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 6
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:43:14 -0800
> >> From: Bill Burge <bill at burge.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [pct-l] The Ultimate Hiker Hosting Setup
> >> To: PCT list <pct-l at backcountry.net>
> >> Message-ID: <62D90FEA-5ADE-4178-96E3-CB82C212A02F at burge.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed; delsp=yes
> >>
> >>
> >> It IS beautiful!  I hear what you are saying about competing with
> >> existing angels.
> >>
> >> My GF and I were day hiking a portion of the trail through Vasquez
> >> Rocks park and saw this house that was right next to the trail and
> >> thought, this would be awesome to live right on the trail and host
> >> hikers.
> >>
> >> Then we realized that no one would stay with US unless Donna/
> >> HikerHeaven was FULL.  Most of the time what we'd hear is "can you
> >> tell me how much further it is to Hiker Heaven?"
> >>
> >> You just can't compete with some things and I wouldn't even want to.
> >> I've seen Hiker Heaven in full swing and it's awesome.  It's even  
> >> more
> >> impressive when you see it perpendicular to the hiker view.
> >>
> >> The hiker comes in and is there for "two nearo's and a zero" and they
> >> get one view.  But we got to see it over the course of a few weeks  
> >> (we
> >> live about 15 mins away) and it's very different and even MORE
> >> impressive.  Think of it as looking onto a track and seeing someone  
> >> do
> >> a 100 meter sprint - flat out diving across the finish.  Then imagine
> >> what it would be like to stop and see that the same runner had done
> >> that same diving finish, flat out sprint, 10 times in a row already
> >> and was going on to do 10 more.  Then imagine how you'd feel.  We  
> >> need
> >> to invent a Gold Medal for Donna!  I can't even dream of how she does
> >> it.
> >>
> >> BillB
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On Jan 29, 2010, at 4:02 PM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com  
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >>> You'd end up competing with Firefly for hiker trash. It's really
> >>> close to her house. You'd compete with Drakesbad, too. I don't think
> >>> anybody could compete with either of those two!
> >>>
> >>> Last summer while hiking the PCT out of Ashland near Dead Indian Rd.
> >>> there was a really nice property for sale. They even put the listing
> >>> information out on the trail.
> >>>
> >>> On Jan 29, 2010, at 1:54 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> >>>
> >>>> http://tinyurl.com/ye2k86u
> >>>
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Pct-l mailing list
> >>> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>>
> >>> List Archives:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 7
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 16:45:37 -0800
> >> From: Austin Williams <austinwilliams123 at gmail.com>
> >> Subject: [pct-l] Cheap synthetic sleeping bag
> >> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
> >> Message-ID:
> >> 	<bdb32ad91001291645j3359937atd00f0c1a05af16c6 at mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I think it was last week that someone was talking about synthetic  
> >> bags.  I
> >> found a 15 degree (F) synthetic sleeping bag that weighs under 3  
> >> lbs and
> >> costs under $80.  It's the cheapest I've ever seen:
> >>
> >>
> >
>
<http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=plyohi-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000RUJK0Y&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr
> 
> > >Here's
> >> the
> >>
> >
>
link<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUJK0Y?ie=UTF8&tag=plyohi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000RUJK0Y
> 
> > >
> >>
> >> I think Campmor also carries it, just slightly more expensive.   
> >> Hard to beat
> >> that without switching to down.
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Austin Williams
> >> PlanYourHike.com
> >>
> >> "The mountains are calling and I must go."   -John Muir
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> Message: 8
> >> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:57:36 -0500
> >> From: Steve McAllister <brooklynkayak at gmail.com>
> >> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Cheap synthetic sleeping bag
> >> To: Pacific Crest Trail List <pct-l at backcountry.net>
> >> Message-ID:
> >> 	<e38b9fd81001291657k3f456b4cof87354c7e95c7978 at mail.gmail.com>
> >> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
> >>
> >> I wouldn't trust the temp. rating and I'll bet it weighs more than  
> >> they
> >> claim.
> >>
> >> stevie
> >>
> >> ############
> >>
> >> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Austin Williams
> >> <austinwilliams123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>> Hi,
> >>>
> >>> I think it was last week that someone was talking about synthetic  
> >>> bags. ?I
> >>> found a 15 degree (F) synthetic sleeping bag that weighs under 3  
> >>> lbs and
> >>> costs under $80. ?It's the cheapest I've ever seen:
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
>
<http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=plyohi-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=B000RUJK0Y&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&m=amazon&lc1=0000FF&bc1=000000&bg1=FFFFFF&f=ifr
> 
> > >Here's
> >>> the
> >>
> >
>
link<http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000RUJK0Y?ie=UTF8&tag=plyohi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000RUJK0Y
> 
> > >
> >>>
> >>> I think Campmor also carries it, just slightly more expensive. ? 
> >>> Hard to
> >> beat
> >>> that without switching to down.
> >>>
> >>> --
> >>> Austin Williams
> >>> PlanYourHike.com
> >>>
> >>> "The mountains are calling and I must go." ? -John Muir
> >>> _______________________________________________
> >>> Pct-l mailing list
> >>> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >>> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>>
> >>> List Archives:
> >>> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> If you look good and dress well, you don't need a purpose in life.
> >>                -- Robert Pante, fashion consultant
> >>
> >>
> >> ------------------------------
> >>
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> Pct-l mailing list
> >> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> >> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> >> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >>
> >> List Archives:
> >> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> >>
> >>
> >> End of Pct-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 136
> >> **************************************
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > Pct-l mailing list
> > Pct-l at backcountry.net
> > To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> > http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> >
> > List Archives:
> > http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:51:52 -0800
> From: "Paul Mitchell" <bluebrain at bluebrain.ca>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Exped Wallcreeper
> To: "'Steve McAllister'" <brooklynkayak at gmail.com>,	"'Pacific Crest
> 	Trail List'" <pct-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID: <020c01caa15f$8f3969b0$adac3d10$@ca>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> 
> > the worst drafts happen near the top between the two people's necks as it
> is difficult to block that gap in that area well. I do not know of any bag
> that can do that
> 
> You're correct, that's a problem spot.
> 
> I'm having a custom quilt built by Nunatak based on this:
> http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/other_bags/bcb.htm
> 
> ... with an anti-draft tonsil added for $25.  The tonsil is an extended
> piece of stuffed blanket which would tuck between us over our shoulders to
> stop that draft.
> 
> So, if you have that Wallcreeper handy, would you be able to do me a favor
> and measure it's width unzipped?  Would appreciate the help!
> 
> Thanks,
> P178
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 19:57:34 -0800
> From: ryan clark <ryanoxie at mac.com>
> Subject: [pct-l] wowzers TP and OHVer
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
> Message-ID: <92953260-D8E4-4233-A621-455BF8B12BD3 at mac.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; delsp=yes; format=flowed
> 
> this board is beginning to turn into a personal opinion advocacy  
> group. please end the bickering wars.
> 
> coming from someone new to backcountry backpacking (me) this is  
> getting really boring and neither side is convincing me to do either  
> of they think is right.
>    so if you think all your fighting is helping us newcombers to  
> decide witch way we should dispose of TP than may i suggest getting  
> out of your heads cuz its
>   not helping anybody. this is not constructive in anyway. or at  
> least give each other your personal emails at talk about it there.
> 
> same with the OHVers. if your not like the stereo typical people that  
> you think your being lumped into than ok. you know who you are. you  
> dont need to prove
> it to anyone but yourself. the person criticizing the stereotypical  
> OHVer obviously has their opinion from what i hope comes from their  
> personal experiences and
> i can bet you big bucks that there is no way you'll be changing there  
> opinion no matter how much you fight about it. if you are a good,  
> respectful OHVer than
> AWESOME! we love you for being so.
> 
> im not trying to step on any toes. its just me OPINION ; p
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:05:48 -0800
> From: "Paul Mitchell" <bluebrain at bluebrain.ca>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] wowzers TP and OHVer - the clear answer
> To: "'ryan clark'" <ryanoxie at mac.com>,	<pct-l at backcountry.net>
> Message-ID: <020d01caa161$8164ffa0$842efee0$@ca>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> 
> I think the answer to these issues is obvious ... wipe your dirty bottom
> with an OHVer, but be sure to only use the stereotypical ones, the
> respectful ones aren't biodegradable.   
> 
> - P178
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Pct-l mailing list
> Pct-l at backcountry.net
> To unsubcribe, or change options visit:
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/mailman/listinfo/pct-l
> 
> List Archives:
> http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/
> 
> 
> End of Pct-l Digest, Vol 25, Issue 138
> **************************************
> 





More information about the Pct-l mailing list