[pct-l] TP usage

Ellen Shopes igellen at comcast.net
Sat Jan 30 07:45:38 CST 2010

Finally, someone has vindicated my husband!  He has been burning his TP for
years (I pack mine out), and even in the desert areas, with caution has
never caused a problem.

Some advocate NOT digging a cat hole in dry areas like the desert.  The
cryptogammic soil is very fragile and easily destroyed by digging and
walking on it.  Instead, I poop on the surface near a bush well away from
public use areas, and use a stick to move the poop under the bush where it's
not an eyesore and won't get trampled.

I tested this at the Canyon one year, shortly after the book, 'How to take a
poop in the woods' came out.  The poop desicated incredibly fast in the hot
desert sun and turned to powder in less than a week.

Ellen