[pct-l] Lazy Responders

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sat Jan 30 13:12:04 CST 2010

On Jan 30, 2010, at 1:28 PM, Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com wrote:

> I get the digest so I can't reply to individual messages. My only
> choices are a) compose a new message to reply or b) reply and change
> the subject line (I change it to the subject line that I'm replying to.)

You're right but by selecting the digest method you've painted
yourself into a corner leaving only bad choices. The primary reason
I've seen people pick the digest method is that they can't deal
with the volume of messages in their inbox.

The better solution is to receive individual messages *and* utilize
the filtering features of your mail program to stuff pct-l messages
into their own folder. That way they don't clutter your inbox and
you don't break the threading features inherent in email.  As a
bonus you can flag or delete message from people you don't want
to 'listen to' automatically once you understand how to set up
rules for incoming email.

It is usually quite easy to set up this sort of auto-sorting
system on any reasonably modern email client.  I'd be happy to
guide anyone as best I can but I suspect a few seconds of googling
will point anyone in the right direction try:

outlook rules
mac mail rules
exchange rules

and so on.