[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 31, Issue 2

Blanchard, Sym (GT&D) SWB3 at pge.com
Thu Jul 1 13:49:19 CDT 2010

On Jul 1, 2010, at 11:25 AM, Blanchard, Sym (GT&D) wrote:

> I am mainly a vegetarian, carrying only dried beans, grains, whey
>protein, vegetables, and fruit.  I soak them a few hours and then heat
>them in the sun or against my body (thanks Scott Williamson!), so I use
>no stove and therefore have no cooking odors.  I carry all the food in
zip-locked first in sandwich bags and then again together in gallon bags

>I have been placing these gallon bags in my bivy bag under my feet at
>night to keep my feet at a slight elevation as I sleep.  No bears or
>other animals got into my food on my hike last month from Cajon Pass to
>Tehachapi, but there were not many bears in those sections either.

>I am thinking that the black bears of the Sierras will not usually
>interact directly with humans and will probably not dig into an
occupied
>bivy bag for dried beans, unless there is something that smells
>overpoweringly tempting (like salami, bacon, etc.)..
>
> What do you think?  Is this a reasonably calculated risk or will I be
in
> mortal danger?

>On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 11:30:03 -0400 Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com> wrote:
>
>I'm pretty sure the vast majority of thru-hikers ditch their canister
>before or at Tahoe.  If you are in mortal danger at least you are in
good
>company.
>
>As far as I know there are no regulations north of Tahoe that require
>you to carry a canister.
>
>Radar

My next question (which I probably should have asked first) was:

Outside of the "International PCT-L Peace Treaty Area" ( I love peace
... Thanks Austin!), is the idea of keeping my sealed veggie food inside
my bivy bag at night reasonably safe?  Or should I keep it in a
critter-resistant bag hanging from a tree as is usually recommended.

Thanks,
Symbiosis