[pct-l] Castella ride

Halfmile list at lon.net
Fri Jul 2 11:32:39 CDT 2010

Ellen,
I am planning on hiking in Washington in a week and I have been trying
to determine snow conditions on the trial too.

I ran across the National Operational Hydrologic Remote Sensing Center
 snow data here:
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/nsa/

Google Earth Snow Analysis Overlays files can be downloaded here:
http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/earth/

I'm not 100% sure how accurate this data is, but I don't know of any
better information. I did go through the NOHRSA archives and compare
it my 2009 Oregon hike last June/July and it appears to have been
mostly accurate. I think the amount of snow tended to be slightly
understate from a hiker's perspective.

Anyway, according to the NOHRSA data...

--The PCT is show free from Old Station to Castle Crags
--Still some snow between Castle Crags and Etna Summit
--Mostly snow free from Etna Summit to Fish Lake (except for a little
snow around miles 1609, 1621, 1700-1710)
--Still a lot of snow in WA

If I were in your position, I would consider a northbound hike from
Old Station.

-Halfmile