[pct-l] conidtions NOBO from Castella

CClark dr_carolyn at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 2 13:40:05 CDT 2010

Matt,
I sent this to you offline, but I will post it for all to see.Maybe others can benefit or will have feedback.This is the snow report I got a few days ago from the Scott River Ranger Station.

BTW, Deems (Losthiker) has ventured into the Marbles recently. He tells me snow is now melting well, so current conditions aren't as bad as this report.  Still, we have postponed our start date until July 23, just to be sure.

Here is the report I got from Scott River Ranger Station:
<<<
Snow depth is substantial (4' or more) above 5500'.Many lakes are still 3/4 frozen (she gave names, but I didn't write them down).

The trail runs along two sheer cliffs that are treacherous.In the Russian Wilderness, we would have to leave the trail at Smith Lake and drop down to Meeks Lake and hike over to Roughy Lake and then back to PCT.In the Marbles, we'd need to avoid the Marble Rim. At Sky High Lakes we'd have to drop down to Four Corners, which is below the Rim.Hike out to the trailhead, hitch a ride to Paradise Lake, and then rejoin PCT there.(I haven't checked these on a map yet.  I hope I wrote it down correctly and that this makes sense.)

She wasn't as worried about the Trinities, because she says the trails are more open there and would not be so dangerous. >>>

P   Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Carolyn Clark, Ph.D.
Dept. of Communication
Salt Lake Community College