[pct-l] Degree bag for thru hike?

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 09:31:07 CDT 2010

Dear Julia,

I don't have the experience that some of these other guys have but I find
that a 30 degree bag is perfect for ultra light backpacking in the CA high
Sierra.  I've had a few nights that go below that but I also have a tent and
I have slept with my jacket and clothes, on just a few occasions. With ultra
light backpacking you just have to make things work. I have NEVER been too
cold to sleep.  A 30 degrees bag is pretty light and a quilt is going to be
just as heavy and open up during the night allowing heat to escape.  A quilt
might be all right for low altitude summer backpacking.

Melanie