[pct-l] stolen car

Weathercarrot weathercarrot at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 17:52:51 CDT 2010

Hello -

I'm hiking northbound, and just arrived at the hiker hut in Etna. Last night I camped with Elliot at Paynes Lake.  He's doing a very slow southbound hike with lots of side trails to all the lakes in the wilderness areas. He's taken a month and a half to go from Cook and Green pass north of Seiad to the middle of the Russians. He is new to the long-distance hiking community and mentioned meeting you and borrowing your car to go into town. He asked if such generosity was common in our hiker community. I told him I've heard of many times when folks like yourself have similarly offered their car. He told me that he borrowed the car, went into town, resupplied at the grocery store, headed back up to Etna Summit, left the car there, and resumed his southbound PCT/lakes hike, which he says will only last another week or so, mostly in the Russian Wilderness.

>From the time I spent with him, I think it's very possible or highly likely that he's being truthful, and that the car could have been stolen by someone else after he left it at Etna summit.

I hope this info is helpful, and that this all gets resolved soon.  I'm interested to know what what happens from here.  Taker care,

wc