[pct-l] Ashland south bound

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Wed Jul 21 12:34:59 CDT 2010

I was hoping to start in Ashland on July 23 and hike south, but Trail
Condition reports on the PCTA website are making me a bit nervous: blow
downs & snow throughout sections Q to N (Seiad Valley to Burney Falls).
Those reports are only a couple days old. There's no report for Ashland to
Seiad Valley, though. Anybody have info on this section? It looks like there
is still snow just about everywhere, on & off up through OR and WA, right?

I have the whole month of August blocked out and nowhere to go! I already
postponed my July 1 leave date to July 23rd. Should I kill some more time
and wait til August 1st to leave?? The snow has GOT to be melted by then,
right?? What would you do? I really can't deal with lots of snow. No
experience, no gear. Thanks for any advice.

Not to worry too much. The snow situation has changed greatly, i.e., less (of course) with all the very warm weather we're having. It's my understanding from those in the know, the blow downs are being tended to as we speak. I have a 30 miles portion to complete in Section N the first week of August. I am not worried.

are we there yet

...going to the mountains is going home.

John Muir