[pct-l] Fw: Hiker Trash/Dinsmore suggestion.

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 21 22:50:17 CDT 2010

----- Forwarded Message ----
From: Edward Anderson <mendoridered at yahoo.com>
To: pctl at backcountry.net
Sent: Wed, July 21, 2010 8:48:28 PM
Subject: Fw: [pct-l] Hiker Trash/Dinsmore suggestion.

I like Andrea's idea to include a seminar on Trail Etiquette at the Kickoff
Party. It could emphasize the importance of respect for the wonderful lands
through which the PCT passes - with emphasis on having a "leave no trace"
attitude.  The trail angels that I have met are amazing - both on and off the
trail.  I have been offered a refreshing root beer float while riding the
trail on a hot day - and have often come across trail-side caches of
water, cold beer, soft drinks, and fresh fruit.  Sometimes there isn't even a
note as to who left those goodies for the hikers. I think that everyone really
appreciates kindness like that.

Since I was riding a horse and mostly living on the trail I didn't hitch into
towns as most hikers do.  I did try to stop in and visit the trail angels when I
could ride there.  I stopped at Michael Herrera's. He was not home but there
were several hikers relaxing on the covered patio.  He had left out snacks and
soft drinks and an ice chest full of cold fruit cocktail.  I had a bowl and,
Michael, it was appreciated.  Sorry I did not get to meet you.  I also stopped
at the Saufleys to say "hello" to them and to some of my hiker-friends who were
there.  I did not stay there since I live in Agua Dulce. Next I rode into Green
Valley to visit the Andersons.  Joe made me a great pancake breakfast.  In Old
Station I had a great visit with Firefly and Firewalker and all of the hikers
who were then at the Hiker Hideaway.  In Washington Andrea Dinsmore of Hiker
Haven gave me lots of good and current trail information over the phone. I
appreciated that info. I did stop to meet Andrea and just say hello as I drove
through on my way to drop off my rig at Stevens Pass.

These ANGELS are awesome people.  They don't have to do what they do - they do
it just because they want to be helpful. I don't understand DA's attitude.

MendoRider