[pct-l] Launch spot near Ashland

Cate White cwhite at mcn.org
Thu Jul 22 09:12:52 CDT 2010

Hey All,

Looks like I'm headed out Friday for my July-August SOBO adventure from
Ashland. Couple more questions:

My folks are dropping me off and want to hike in with me for the first
night. I'm looking at my guide book and wondering where the best spot to do
that might be. I need it to be a safe place to leave their car overnight.
And I'm seeing that there's a 12 mile stretch with no water between
Callahans/Cross Road 20/Cross Road 40S15 to Mt. Ashland Campground and what
looks like the next Road crossing (40S12, Siskiyou Gap, Sheep Camp Spring.)
Is there a place after that 12 mile stretch to get on the trail where they
could leave their car? Like the 40S12 Cross Road? Anyone familiar with this
area?

And another thing: Um, can I just camp anywhere along the trail? I think I
remember hearing that it depends on which park you are in, but does anyone
know offhand what the deal is between Ashland and about Echo Lake? Also, I
haven't been able to find a nice simple map that shows me what wilderness
areas the PCT goes through so I can see all in one place what park services
I need to call to find out details about each place. Any direction to a map
like that or just a list of the areas would be great. I know Marble Mountain
Wilderness Area is the first (going south). Then what?

You've all been so helpful and great. Thanks!

CATE