[pct-l] shoe sizing - questions thereof

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Sat Jul 24 23:51:32 CDT 2010

In reading Yogi's PCT handbook, it seems the suggested shoe size (for
running shoes) is 1/2 to a full size over one's day-in-day-out shoe size. My
question is: is that for people that wear confining shoes on a daily basis,
and it's with all the trail pounding their feet broaden out to their more
normal dimensions; or is that for everyone? The reason I ask is: as someone
that lives in sandals and/or flipflops (have one reconstructed foot and
normal shoes hurt to wear on a daily basis, especially sitting at a desk in
the office), as such, my feet have become quite broad. Should I expect them
to become even broader on the trail, ie, when I buy a new set of runners,
should I also plan on buying large. [and not to worry: the best therapy for
the reconstructed foot has always been walking - doesn't hurt in hiking
boots...  but would like to try running shoes for a section hike...   also
of note: in previous hikes (50 milers etc) I've never noticed any
enlargement (other than from altitude, eg, over 15k ft), and am wondering if
I simply haven't walked far enough to see this effect.]  People's comments,
please.
thanks, TheDuck