[pct-l] backpacker butt

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Mon Jul 26 17:03:25 CDT 2010

On Jul 25, 2010, at 10:56 PM, Kilgore Trout wrote:

> FAIR WARNING: This post is a serious inquiry and is not intended to offend
> or disgust. It does, however, refer to a certain problem involving the human
> buttocks.
>
> So: whenever I hike 15 miles or more, I end up with a really irritating
> chafing between my buttocks. I imagine this is a common problem -- are there
> any known solutions, or do I just have to grit my teeth and keep hiking
> until the flesh gets tough? I was thinking about getting back there with
> some Vaseline. (Predictable jokes encouraged here.)

The solution depends on the person but you'll want to experiment with:

boxers, briefs, boxer-briefs, commando, hiking skirt
baby wipes, wet wipes, baby powder, body glide, gold bond
sponge bath, trail showers, swimming, etc.

Personally I like the ex-officio boxer briefs, a sponge bath (really a bandana) at night when possible, and wet wipes to keep everything clean after a bathroom break.

I use body glide when the regular routine fails to prevent the problem for some reason.

Radar