[pct-l] MTR vs. Bishop resupply

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Jul 26 19:10:53 CDT 2010

On Jul 26, 2010, at 4:41 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Thanks Ned
>
> There is no such a bucket in Japan. So, we cannot send the resupplies
> from Japan directly. The people who use MTR as a supply point must buy
> a bucket and resupply food in USA, and send it to MTR.  That is the
> problem. It is very easy to find a bucket and foods for Americans, but
> a bit difficult thing for me. So, I had sent whole re-supplies to VVR.

Yoshihiro,
Can you bring that batch of food with you to the states and purchase
a bucket on arrival? Or maybe you are already on the trail? They do
have japanese grocery stores in the US, too, just not close to the
trail.

Ned, thanks for the tip about the resupply location off Bishop Pass.
I doubt a thru-hiker would want to make such a detour unless really
in need of food, but it will help me out greatly. I plan to do a
section hike ending at Bishop Pass and now it sounds like my worries
are over as far as how to get to Bishop. I've hitchhiked out of
Bishop Pass before but it wasn't easy.

On the subject of boots, I found a company that makes handmade boots
and shoes and have ordered a pair made to a tracing of my foot. I'm
looking forward to giving them a try once they arrive. They'll be
ultralight boots, basically. A simple leather shoe with a lug sole.
The company makes shoes for renaissance reenactment but my hope is
they'll be suitable for hiking. Perhaps if they work out, I'll spring
for the court jester shoes and try hiking in those. Imagine my
fashion sense as I skip down the trail in my utilikilt and my court
jester shoes. Switchback will be rolling over in his, um, La-Z-Boy.

Diane

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time