[pct-l] No need to fear bears?

Stewart Johns stewfjohns at att.net
Thu Jul 29 05:47:28 CDT 2010

Anyone contemplating hiking in grizzly country should read the book, "Bear
Attacks, Their Causes and Avoidance", by Stephen Herrero.  If the victim was
found dead in his tent, he probably had something in the tent the bear
really wanted, such as food.  Or, the campground was a source of food and
this particular bear had previously grazed the area and found food.
Habituation to sources of food left by humans is a common cause of bad
grizzly encounters.  A backpacker who selects campsites carefully, never
cooks in the campsite and keeps it very clean will likely avoid the kind of
attack the unfortunate victim in Montana had to endure.  Along most areas on
the PCT I would sleep with my food, but never in grizzly country!  Chapter 9
of this book is about "avoiding encounters" and covers the topic in detail.

Here is the link to the story.  Food in the tents does not seem to be the
problem
here.  It seems that everyone involved had their food in the bear lockers.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5h-zvKvHc7LVgGFN-WcG2niIDZNZwD9H8J6080

Doc Holiday