[pct-l] Bear can question

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Thu Jul 29 19:13:35 CDT 2010

> Message: 8
> Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 14:28:14 -0700
> From: Richard Woods <Sparksrick51 at charter.net>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Bear can question
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
> I think I'll use my Garcia in the future just for the peace of mind.
> Bagging/hanging food every night gets tedious, finding a suitable tree
> gets hard, and keeping it in my tent with me is an attractant for lots
> of critters, not just bears. I've had more problems with mice than
> anything else.
>

> On Jul 29, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Bob Bankhead wrote:
>
> no longer REQUIRED: at the northern border of Yosemite National Park
>
> no longer needed: a lot further than that

I've adopted the same mode of late - I used to be of the hanging the food
type... but if one walks until it's too dark to see then setting up camp,
especially hanging the food in the dark is a PITA. So now: get to where I'm
going to camp, take the bear vault and move it some distance away, weight it
down with a big rock or two, and call it a night. Yes, carrying the extra 2
lb is a pain, but having gone UL mostly, that extra weight is more than
offset up by the lighter gear. The peace of mind, albeit maybe ill-founded,
it nice; the lack of hanging the food bag, and worse, trying to retreive a
"stuck" food bag, is even nicer.
TheDuck