[pct-l] Getting ready for the PCT

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 20:29:31 CDT 2010

I'm currently reading a book "Medicine for the Outdoors" by Paul Auerbach,
MD.  I highly recommend it. It is pretty detailed (at least for the layman
like me) but covers all kinds of conditions - including many I hadn't
thought about or even knew about.

I'm planning to reread it again in a couple of months to ensure I didn't
miss or forget anything.

On a side note beside the skills you mentioned: consider also just getting
out a few time to get familiar with your equipment, keeping the weight down,
learning how to manage the conditions you will encounter i.e.:  heat, cold,
water management, snow travel, and stream crossings.

And Most importantly -  having a love of nature and the outdoors. With this
you should do fine.

Enjoy.  The PCT is a true American Treasure.

Day-Late