[pct-l] Saw a scary picture... Need some reassurance...

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:47:48 CDT 2010

Rebekah David wrote:

I just came across THIS PICTURE (enlarge to X3 to see detail)
<http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/1700891#83684682_g5HZr-A-LB>and I sorta
panicked...  I broke both my ankles (yes, at the same time) a couple years
ago and tore my ACL a couple years before THAT... (I know, I know... I might
just be too much of a clutz to safely enter the wilderness) While those
injuries have healed, I still have trouble with that knee from time to time
and my ankles will always roll.

Speaking as someone with a long history of ankle problems myself,
long-distance hiking can be really hard on your body, especially your ankles
and knees.  If you know that you're prone to injury in those areas then
you'll need to be extra careful to take care of yourself.  Do lots of
exercises that strengthen those areas.  Choose footwear that gives you the
combination of comfort and support that your body needs.  Learn taping
techniques to give your ankles extra support if needed.  Investigate joint
supplements to see if they can help you.  Focus on your walking gait and
slow down so that you can step precisely and accurately to prevent injury.

And finally, don't get so committed to a thru-hike that you push your harder
than it's able to handle.  Maybe everything will work out great, or maybe
not.  Live each day with your eyes open and make your decisions based on
reality at the present moment, not simply on what you planned ahead of time.

Eric