[pct-l] how much money to save an ounce

Denis Stanton denisstanton at mac.com
Wed Jun 2 00:02:00 CDT 2010

On 2/06/2010, at 1:33 PM, Tortoise wrote:

> Well the cost per mile is relevant when considering how much more to spend
> to lighten your load.
> Obviously if one only does a couple hundred or so miles a year, the cost
> per mile goes up which may change one's decision on which to buy.
>
> Obviously there are other ways to reduce one's pack weight -- the easiest
> and cheapest is simply to not take unneeded stuff, to do without so much stuff.

I have adopted a different approach, which is cheaper still.

I will be doing a one week section of the PCT/JMT starting 12 June.  I have my backpack packed and ready to for my flight to the USA on Friday.  It weighs exactly 30 lb including food.  Without the food it comes to 22.5 pounds.  That's pack, tent, sleeping bag, mat, cooker, first aid etc. and clothing including rainwear.  I know some of you have achieved lower base weights than this, but I'm not prepared to enter the Sierra snow without a tent.  I could shave a few ounces off the core equipment but only be spending hundreds of dollars on slightly lighter replacements.  I don't think the small gains justify the cost.

I have instead tackled the heaviest items as it offers the greatest opportunity for gain and without compromising safety or comfort (well, maybe comfort).  Two months ago I weighed 86.5 kg = 190 lb.  I have reduced that by 10 kg to 76.5 kg = 168 lb.  I am now 22 pounds lighter than when I section hiked last year.  By shedding personal weight equal to my pack base weight in theory the total weight I am hauling through the mountains this year will be the same as if I left my whole pack behind last year.   Maybe if I try a bit harder on the diet for the next 10 days I could achieve a negative base weight (relative to last year)

Denis Stanton
denisstanton at mac.com