[pct-l] Warning--pack stolen at Firing Line on Sheep Fire detour

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Wed Jun 2 20:23:22 CDT 2010

On Jun 2, 2010, at 9:01 PM, David Ellzey wrote:
> I just went through our gear and came up with the following we can give her:

If local donated gear isn't going to cut it, perhaps we could take up a collection to help fund a purchase of new equipment?

There is a new service called "WePay" that is designed to help collect money for groups online.  I actually created an account already (PCT Help a Hiker Fund) and if I get some positive feedback from this group, I'll go ahead and enable it for donations.  I just wasn't sure if it made sense at this time. There are some caveats:

- they take a 3.5% service fee from all donations
- they require donors to "create an account" (email/password)

Ultimately people would be trusting me to forward the money to Caroline (or the other hiker who also had their pack stolen perhaps?).  I could add other administrators to the account such as Donna Saufley though to help with the 'trust factor'.  I've copied Donna on this email.

I think I would stop collecting money at some limit ($500?) and/or donate any unused money to the PCT.

What does everyone think?  Overkill?

Radar

P.S. I can be reached by phone at 203-350-WALK