[pct-l] tendonitis

Nikii Murtaugh boundforadventure at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 21:18:51 CDT 2010

I was unfortunate enough to get tendonitis in both feet at the same time
this summer.  I could barely walk the last week of hiking, and by the time
Greyhound dropped me off at my mom's, I was in excruciating pain.  I
received a script for muscle relaxers and advised to stay off my feet.
Easier said than done, of course.  When I got home (a week later), I started
P90X and there were a lot of exercises that I could not do, due to my feet
injuries.  It took well over 3 months before I could walk on my tiptoes
without pain. It was about 6 months before I could jump (as in jacks).    In
the meantime,  I ordered and read "Walk Yourself Well" and read posts from
Northwest Foot and Ankle.  Since last summer, I've been padding around at
home barefoot.

I don't know what the culprit was.  It could have been: 1) body not in good
enough condition to hike, 2) quads and hamstrings not strong enough, 3) wore
new, larger boots, 4) pack too heavy, but lighter than year before, 5) feet
not in condition, 6) ???

This summer I'm section hiking in Oregon and possibly Washington.  I haven't
decided yet, what footwear I'll be using.  What I may end up doing is
wearing a variety of footwear so I can determine what works best for my feet
given this particular trail.

Clippers