[pct-l] Warning--pack stolen at Firing Line on Sheep Fire detour

David Ellzey david at xpletive.com
Thu Jun 3 01:25:01 CDT 2010

*Update 3

Just got back from Wrightwood.

Caroline is still in Wrightwood, she has a mail drop there she has to retrieve tomorrow before she can continue to HH either Thursday or Friday, depending on ride availability. The process of replacing her gear is coming along well.

The Gregory Deva 60 seemed to fit her well. Not the "perfect" pack for a thruhike IMO but certainly adequate. Generally speaking she is the same size as my wife, GoGo so we could recycle a bunch old stuff.

A hiker at Wrightwood who was upgrading his bag lent her his and we gave her a used Z-Pad, so she has a basic sleep system.

She had just replaced her alcohol stove gear with a JetBoil. So they got the new JetBoil but she had her original kit in her bounce box. So no cook system is needed.

We gave her 2 MSR 4 liter bags for w/ hydration tubes and an old, heavy but incredibly good Katadyn water filter. So she has a usable hydration setup.

We also got her a fleece pullover and a shell, some smartwool socks and couple synthetic shirts.

Luckily her crampons and ice axe are in her bounce box!

The thieves left the trekking poles.

Essentials she still needs are:

1. Shelter - She expressed concern over using a tarp system as she hadn't used one before and felt more secure in a tent. If anyone has a solo tent she can use it would be better than a tarp, if not I bet someone at HH can show her how to set up a tarp.

2. Sleeping Bag - Although the loaner she just got is usable, it is less than ideal as donator was over 6' tall and is like 5' 4". Also it was a 30 degree bag and it's been cold on the trail this year. If anyone can loan her a better fit and/or warmer bag it would be awesome.

Stuff I can think of that we might be able to help her out with:

1. Camera - She had a really nice SLR in her bag which tells me that photos are important to her. Until she can replace the nice camera (it was insured) with one similar, it would be nice if someone had a digital camera she could borrow so she doesn't have to hike the Sierras without photos.

2. Headlamp - Not a big expensive item but I thought someone might have one gathering dust after upgrading.

That's all I can think of for now.

BigToe