[pct-l] snotel data?

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Sat Jun 5 14:07:18 CDT 2010

Message: 3
Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:10:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: CClark <dr_carolyn at yahoo.com>
Subject: [pct-l] snotel data?
To: pct-l at backcountry.net

> We're planning to hike north from Castle Crags starting in July.??I read
> on a recent forum that snow levels in that area are currently 4-5'.?
<snip>

Carolyn - I'm in Redding, and we had lots of snow this year, still have
lots. From here generally by this time 99% of the visible snow is gone -
some left on the top of Lassen, and Shasta is 50+% bare rock. This year when
I look north, Shasta has almost no bare/exposed rock; when I look off the
back porch, Lassen is entirely white; when I look west Shasta Bally still
has a white top. I personally was planning on doing Lassen over to Castle
Crags this year (Hat Creek Rim, Squaw Valley etc) - actually was planning on
being on the triail currently. But give the amount of white stuff I can see,
I'm waiting a month or better. You might follow the webcam in this link
http://www.nps.gov/webcams-lavo/kyvc_webcam1.jpg it'll give you an idea of
what you'll find thru Lassen, along the ridge just before Castle Crags, and
after Castle Crags along the ridge.Nominally by this time the above link
would show bare ground...  as you can see, not this year.  YMMV HYOH

dr greg mushial (TheDuck)