[pct-l] Sierra Snow Reported by PCT Hikers

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 5 14:38:02 CDT 2010

Here is the latest snow reports I found reviewing journals about the Sierras from actual PCT hikers (see below).  I hope this helps out in understanding what is ahead.  I just finished buying food etc. and will be heading into the Sierras shortly.  I will try to give an update every day while I'm in the Sierras.  But do to cell service not all my attempts will be successful.

Thanks go to the hikers that provided the valuable information in their journals.

Paul

June 3, 2010
"Just summited Mt. Whitney from the west side, encountering no problems. Other three members of our party are behind me and on their way up.  I was able to call my wife from the summit using another hiker's cell phone with Verizon coverage. Windy, but beautiful. "

Yurt Man

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=62462325de3f5fcfae8d9a57f0f3c689&entry_id=15825

"Day 49 - 3 June - start at SFKR (mile 716, 7800 ft.); end at mile 732, ( 9500 ft).
Slim Jim left camp 15 minutes before me, and I never saw him again all day.
The Trail climbed above 10,000 ft. for the first time. It's an unusual environment up here - plenty of tall, mature pines, firs, and junipers on bare ground; not much of anything growing down low. Just rocks and pine cones, sand and gravel.
I got into some snow, mostly patches in the shade of trees. A few large areas of snow on slopes required careful footing and routefinding. It's weird to be sweating in the sun, huffing uphill, and pass a 6-ft-deep snow drift.
I am camped on a ridge in a "nook" of huge granite boulders and tall, skinny pines. As an added benefit, I have a "table" of flat boulders on which to lay out gear.

The sky is clear and the sunset beautiful. Unfortunately, no cell service. Good night, gentle readers.

"Give me some words I can dance to, or a melody that rhymes." JB "

Mango

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=314048

June 2, 2010

"..Late in the afternoon I reached Trail Pass & the snowbound side trail which leads to Horseshoe Meadows & a long, winding road to civilization. Afer navigating through two muddy meadows & some heavy flowing creeks, I find Sub Zero @ the Trailhead. He's been waiting for a ride to town for five hours."

Freebird

http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=313975