[pct-l] Nausia

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Sun Jun 6 20:25:47 CDT 2010

Loss of appetite is common for the first week or so until your body adjusts to the stress and changes induced by the trail, then your appetite returns - with a vengance. A certain degree of nausea caused by anxiety, dehydration, exertion, and a change in menu and eating habits is commonplace.

Severe nausea is not normal. See your doctor. He can give you prescriptions to reduce the anxiety and stop the nausea dead in its tracks.

You can help yourself. Plan trail meals and snacks that actually taste good to you. Anticipation is part of appetite. Salivate your way to supper, rather than dreading facing yet another industrial strength cardboard-tasting freeze dried meal. Fresh vegetables like raw carrots make great snacks and keep for several days in your pack.; Fresh fruit is bulky and doesn't travel as well as harder veggies, but can make a real difference on a long up-hill. Motivate yourself with the promise of a nice juicy nectarine at the top. Dried fruits, while tasty and certainly better travellers and less apt to spoil, just can't compare.

To help maintain proper salt balance in your body, add hydration packs (such as Emergen-C,or Crystal Lite On-The-Go HYDRATION [not the regular on-the-go stuff; must say "Hydration"]) to your drinking water. You get a bit of flavor plus the extra sodium, potassium, and magnesium you need. Upset that balance and you will get nauseated from that alone.

Wandering Bob