[pct-l] Feet Swelling

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jun 8 08:20:27 CDT 2010

On Jun 7, 2010, at 8:46 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> While we're on the subject of feet, I've been getting blisters on
> the balls of my feet, right behind my second toes, which seems to
> be a strange place to get blisters.  It's also a pretty darned near
> debilitating place and I was forced off the trail a couple of years
> ago and had to do some concerted damage control to avoid the same
> last June.  Is there something different that leads to blisters on
> that part of the foot vs. on other parts such as the heel or toe
> edges?

I've hiked all over and with all kinds of ill-fitting footwear and
never got blisters in that spot until I hit the PCT. I don't know
what it is about that trail. Others I hiked with at the time also had
blisters there, too, sometimes gruesome ones. The only thing I can
think of is I never hiked a trail so level and smooth as the PCT
before, with half-day long climbs and descents and hours and hours of
contouring, so maybe that was it. Every other trail I've ever been on
-- I live and hike in So Cal and have hiked in the Sierras and Nepal
-- has more variable ups and downs, rocks to step up on, steeper
hills, degraded or non-existent tread. It's the only difference I can
think of.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time