[pct-l] Mt. Whitney

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Fri Jun 11 23:13:21 CDT 2010

Not if you have a PCTA through-hikers' permit. You only need the Whitney Zone endorsement if you are planning to go over Trail Crest and exit down the east slope to Whitney Portal and/or Lone Pine.

Camp at (very windy) Guitar Lake, leave your gear there and start up about 6:00 - 7:00 am, summit Whitney about 3 hours later, and return. When you're ready, follow the JMT back to the PCT at Crabtree Meadows and continue your hike.

"Where is Trail Crest?", you might ask. The JMT from Guitar Lake climbs 14 long switchbacks to a junction with the Mt Whitney trail. Turn left to go up Whitney; turn right to climb up to Trail Crest and descend the 99 switchbacks to Whitney Portal.

PCT hikers rarely go over Trail Crest to resupply because they'd have to make that murderous exposed climb up the steep east face with a full pack.

Wandering Bob