[pct-l] Resupply/parking

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 12 20:09:23 CDT 2010

Hi Marion,
While it turned out to be true that your coolers were mouse proof - the mice can't get in - coolers are probably not air-tight enough to prevent food odors from escaping.  Mice will still be attracted to your van to try to get at it.  I see the same problem with bear canisters - the bears can't get the food inside but will be attracted to the camp area because the food smell escapes.  My experience on the trail has proven that food stored inside an OpSak is safe from rodents (and bears) because NO smells can escape. Just be very careful that you don't get food smells on the outside of the sack.

What convinced me of the effectiveness of OpSaks was my experience at my resupply food cache one half mile north of Beldon Town in Northern California. My processed horse food (over 30 pounds of it) was stored in heat-sealed Food-Saver bags and my own food in a large OpSak. Rodents got ALL of the horse food (sreaded the bags and ate every single grain) and didn't get into mine in the OpSak - even though all of the food was buried together. From then on I used OpSaks for the horse feed as well - for caches and in camp - all the way to Canada. No bear or rodent problems. I noticed hikers who were hanging their food bags high in trees. I just used the OpSaks in camps and was careful that there would be no lingering food smells after dinner.

MendoRider