[pct-l] slippery cook pot

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 13 11:16:17 CDT 2010

Good morning, Lawrence,

I don’t know what kind of stove you are using, but I found a solution for
use with my cat food can alcohol stove.  With these little alcohol stoves it
is necessary to support the pot about an inch above the stove surface.  One
common method of doing so is with a support made of welded fence wire which
can be seen at:   http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Cat_Stove.html

I made a support as Roy describes, but finding my pot would slide around
more than I liked I made a simple modification.  In Roy’s drawing of the
stand note that all of the vertical legs of the stand are bent inward to
form a support surface.  I changed the plan and only bent every second leg.
The remaining vertical legs provide very positive lateral support for the
pot.  That stand can be seen in action at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=201601

The instructions say to bend the fence wire into a circle that will fit into
the pot.  My support had to be a bit larger in diameter so I need to
compress it slightly to fit it into the pot.  Also, based upon the dimension
of fence I used the vertical legs now extend up beyond the rim of the pot a
bit so I just put the pot lid over the verticals rather than seating it
fully in place on the pot.  I carry the whole thing in a snug SilNylon
drew-string sack to keep it all clean and together.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09