[pct-l] Opinions? Gossamer G4 vs. Mariposa Plus

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Jun 13 21:50:35 CDT 2010

Good evening, Madeline,

I normally carry a 13-ounce GoLite Breeze pack which is no longer available.
Its functional equivalent is the “standard” Mariposa, except the Breeze
doesn’t have a bladder pocket or a Zee-Rest pocket, and I don’t use a
sternum strap or a hip belt.  Instead of using a Zee-Rest pocket I
accordion-fold my sleeping pad and place it inside the pack against my back.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=263805

The Mariposa-Plus is a good size, but it’s a half-pound too heavy for me
with all its extra “features” that I don’t use.

In ’07 before I entered the Sierras I traded the Breeze for my GVP4 – which
is what the G4 was originally named when Glen Van Peski developed it –
because my Garcia bear ‘can would fit nicely crosswise in the bottom.  It
worked OK that year but I didn’t do so again because GVP4/G4 is way too big
for my 8-pound base weight and it always hung half-full – like a sack – and
I found that the ‘can is easily carried upright in the Breeze.  I did use a
Zee-Rest in the GVP4/G4 pocket.

I have 3 or 4 Breezes in various states of decay, and when the time comes to
replace them I’ll probably buy the “standard” Mariposa.  I have no idea how
much junk you intend to carry, but at 4,000 cu. in. the GVP4/G4 is darn big.
As an adaptation of Parkinson’s Law, “The amount of gear carried expands to
fill the space available in the pack.”

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09