[pct-l] Abby Sunderland/non-stop

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jun 15 20:41:27 CDT 2010

After reading all that I am convinced nobody of any age should sail
on the ocean.

All I did was go for a little walky and encounter 9 bears, 3
rattlesnakes and a whole lot of deadly pancakes. What a snore.

Diane

On Jun 15, 2010, at 11:46 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Non-stop literally means without entering any harbor, or connecting
> up with another boat or person, with no supply support of any kind
> (except, in older times, mail).
>
> The first person to do this was Sir Robin Knox-Johnston in 1968.
> He bought "Suhaili", a 32 foot ketch, in India.  It was
> delapidated, but he restored it for the purpose of sailing it back
> to England, his home, which he did.  He was a professional seaman.
> He decided to enter the race to sail around the world non-stop,
> single-handed.  From his website:
>
> "Progress was slow initially as RKJ was recovering from an attack
> of jaundice. By the time she passed the Cape of Good Hope she was
> in the lead, but had already been knocked down, her coach roof
> shifted, her water tanks polluted and her radio out of action.
>
> For the next 8 ? months the only contact was when sighted from the
> shore or by a solitary ship. There was no means of communication
> and no way to tell anyone if the boat got into trouble, as with
> beacons or EPIRB?s in those pre-satellite days. The loss of the
> radio also gave a navigational problem as it was no longer possible
> to obtain time checks, and accurate time is essential when using a
> sextant to calculate position, which was all that was available
> then. Weather forecasts too were now unobtainable, reliance being
> placed on a barometer removed from a public house, the clouds and
> the wind direction, but this did not help to warn of deeper storms
> as they approached.
> More storms followed as Suhaili made her way through the Southern
> Ocean, sails were torn, the main gooseneck broke and off Australia
> her self steering finally gave up the ghost. From then on the boat
> had to be balanced or hand steered.
>
> After 147 days at sea she approached the pilot vessel off Melbourne
> to announce that she was still racing and drop off mail. A brief
> call off Dunedin, and grounding for 5 hours, and the she continued
> towards Cape Horn.
>
> It was during a storm which reached Force 12(>73 mph), and after
> another knockdown, that the efficiency of warps being towed behind
> the boat was discovered and she rode the largest of waves
> thereafter in comparative safety.
>
> The waves in the Southern Ocean are the largest to be found
> anywhere in the world. In theory they can reach more than 30 metres
> in height, but the largest seen during the voyage was, perhaps, 25
> metres high, but it had built up into a wall, breaking at the
> crest. RKJ was on deck as it suddenly reared up half a mile astern,
> and by the time its true proportions were clear it was too late to
> seek shelter below. He climbed the rigging and hung on as the stern
> reared up and the wave crashed over the boat. For what seemed an
> eternity there was nothing in sight but two masts and boiling water
> and then Suhaili shook herself and re-appeared. Without the warps
> she would have broached and been viciously rolled and possibly
> [...]

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time