[pct-l] section o

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Jun 16 16:51:03 CDT 2010

>> On Jun 16, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Len Glassner wrote:
>> Almost every tree top is missing for the 15 miles we have cleared.
>>
>> Are the tops literally blown off trees?  Or is there another
>> explanation for this phenomenon?
>
> I have no knowledge of this particular incident but it sort of sounds like
> what happens in the northeast during an ice storm or a heavy wet snow in the
> fall when the leaves are all still on the trees.
>
> The trees simply can't hold up the weight of the ice and snow and snap.
>
> Radar

When I was a kid growing up in far NorCal, it was called "snow load"...
Very much as Radar described, but it was usually the combination of heavy wet
snow hanging on the tall evergreens, a drop in temperature after the storm had
cleared, then followed by relatively strong winds...
The trees start swaying back & forth in the wind and with the weight of the snow
load up high in the trees, they snap off when the combo sway/weight is too much...
If the ground is sufficiently saturated, trees can also be uprooted - the snow
load also helping act as a 'sail' - and with that scenario, there can be a 'domino'
effect - one tree falling over taking out one or two or more trees which take out
even more......

Sounds like John's crew was 'snowed out' of their planned project at Carter Meadows
(section P) next week (still 3 feet of snow on the ground there recently), and will
now be diverted to section O to help clear trail...  Thanks, Lyons Pride!!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: <http://www.pcta.org/>

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will
be no result." - Mahatma Gandhi