[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 30, Issue 52

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Wed Jun 16 21:56:31 CDT 2010

> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 16:58:31 -0400
> From: Gary Wright <gwtmp01 at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] section o
> To: Len Glassner <len5742 at gmail.com>
> Cc: jomike at cot.net, pct-l at backcountry.net
>

> On Jun 16, 2010, at 4:55 PM, Len Glassner wrote:
>>> Almost every tree top is missing for the 15 miles we have cleared.
>>
>> Are the tops literally blown off trees?  Or is there another
>> explanation for this phenomenon?
>
> I have no knowledge of this particular incident but it sort of sounds like
> what happens in the northeast during an ice storm or a heavy wet snow in
> the fall when the leaves are all still on the trees.
>
> The trees simply can't hold up the weight of the ice and snow and snap.

That's what we saw during the winter of 2006 - normally here we either have
little snow (1-3"), or if a significant amount, a cold dry powder - in
Dec2006 we got 10-12" of hydraulic cement overnight, and by morning our oak
forest was laying on the ground - lost 70ish
(major) oaks leaving us 8-10' tall stumps and the tops on the ground
besides - these were 60'+ trees, most, by counting rings, over 100 yrs old.
[lost a bunch of pines also, but they just levered over, pulling the roots
up, leaving huge craters.]...  nature can sometimes be tough on itself.

TheDuck.